Thursday 19 May 2016

Editing photos

The editing of photos is a hot topic, isn't it? You can't go more than a couple of days without hearing about how a celebrity has been exposed for changing their appearance in some way and the word "photoshop" has become synonymous with trickery and scandal. There are examples all over the internet, I'm not into celebrity shaming so I won't be sharing any of them here.

The truth is, all photographers edit their photos in some way. From basic changes such as nudging the exposure up or down a little or changing the contrast slightly to make colours pop, to smoothing skin to make it look like porcelain or trimming waistlines to impossible dimensions - it's all about how we choose to use this potentially powerful tool.

While I try to get as much right "in camera" as possible and I don't over-rely on post-processing options, I do edit minimally. I will edit out minor blemishes such as spots or flyaway hair but I will not make major changes. I won't slim someone's thighs or brush out any wrinkles, these are all part of what makes each client unique.

I know a lot of people don't like how they look in photographs (I understand entirely), that's what makes my job such a challenge. It also makes it incredibly rewarding when people tell me how much they love their finished photographs - laughter lines and all!


No comments:

Post a Comment